The Autumn Woods Classic turned out to be a very popular family event. Before the 10K was a 5K, and there was also a 1K kids run. There were SO many people, and lots of volunteers. I loved that the 10K didn't start until 10:30! It gave me time to wake up in the morning, eat an english muffin with peanut butter, and still have plenty of time to trek up to the race site, park, check-in and check my blood sugars (several times).
When the race started the temperature was at almost 80 degrees! I overhead another man near us mention that last year when he ran this race it was only 30 degrees. I just love this awesome weather we have been getting -- lucky! The run was entirely in a park reserve, so I was looking forward to the beautiful fall views too.
The first mile went fast. The adrenaline was flowing and people were cruising. We logged in at 9:11 at the first mile marker. I was surprised by the fast pace (for me, very fast pace) and thought - uh-oh there is no way I can maintain this for 5 more miles!
Our pace for mile 2 was 9:34. Still not bad, especially with a slight up-hill.
Mile 3 we stopped at a water break, as we decided before hand that it is not worth it to a) pass by or b) try to run and drink, just doesn't do any good. Even with the stop and with some small rolling hills, mile 3 was about 10:10. I don't remember much about mile 4. I think there were more rolling hills, and we stayed consistent at 10:10 again. At some point I remember being on the trail and leaves falling like rain. It was quite the site!
Mile 5 I was getting tired. Another water stop and more hills, but still somewhere around 10:20. Nice pace work! By the time mile 6 came, I was a hurting unit. I could already feel my quads getting sore, and I was feeling pretty weak. I really wanted to push through though, so I forced myself to eat a few Gu Chomps, in case the slump was do to low BG. Finally the last .2 miles, but of course, there was slight hill to be conquered before I could cross that finish line. I could hear the music close by and then saw all the people cheering everyone on. I somehow convinced my legs to keep going and crossed with an official race time of 61:58!!! I was MORE than please with that time! And happy to see my buddy smiling at the finish line. She had finished about 30 seconds before me - Go us!
The post-run consisted of eating a banana, some yogurt, attempting to do a little stretching and watching an owl turn its head 180 degrees (still amazed by that site).
I am sore today, but that just confirms that I gave my all yesterday!
Congrats! You did awesome!
ReplyDeleteWe have our shirts on backwards!!!! Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job!!!
ReplyDeleteYou did great! Congrats again!!
ReplyDelete