Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pot Luck High

Having never participated in one, I was looking forward to my 1st pot luck today. It was great having the opportunity to socialize with co-workers and try a little bit of everything from broccoli salad to calico beans to an amazing Mexican chip dip. Some home made treats and some store bought snacks were there to graze on. I was happy to see lots of veggies too. It was a nice variety, and I was actually surprised at how low-carb my choices seemed to be. The only thing I needed to bolus for was the pita chips I enjoyed with hummus, a handful of chips, a small bite of ooey-gooey brownie, and a tiny maple pecan bar (then a 2nd). Ok, dang. Now that I list it out I see wear I went wrong. Oh and I suppose those scrumptious beans I ate had some carbs hidden there, I always forget about beans!

Tricky tricky pot luck boluses. It's so hard to tell what you have consumed when you go back for 2nd and 3rds or have a bite here and bite there. I thought I had done pretty well. Then 3 o'clock rolled around and I found myself fighting an intense urge to take a nap at my desk. How horrible would that be if someone walked by and I was sleeping?! I seriously could have fallen asleep. Then a little birdie told me, "maybe you should check your BG". Ugh, but that means getting up and walking all the way to the bathroom. FINE. So I did. Whoops. 219. Duh. A correction bolus followed.

Lesson learned - I suck at bolusing for pot lucks. Ha. They are fun and the food is good, but carb counting = not so easy! Still worth it : )

2 comments:

  1. 219 is a good first effort! You live, you learn, and you try again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds worth it! Glad you enjoyed your first pot luck experience!

    ReplyDelete