Monday, September 27, 2010

Shorty got LOW, Low, low, loooow

Okay, I need to vent!

For some unknown reason, my pancreas has decided that it wants to work a little now. Thanks for the notice pancreas!

Well I know I am still in the honeymoon phase, but this is extreme honeymooning then. Over the past week, I have had numerous lows, all while I thought I was doing a great job on carb counting. So then this past weekend, knowing I did NOT want to be the bridesmaid who passed out and ruined a perfectly beautiful wedding, I decided to not even take insulin (except my background insulin). So I ate, and checked, and ate, and checked. Cookies, ciabatta bread, chips, you name it. I really wanted it to be a little higher before the ceremony started just to be safe, but for the love of life I could just not get it much higher than 100. What the heck?!?! Well I thought, maybe I should just enjoy this while it lasts, which meant indulging in some yummy potatoes at dinner without giving it a second thought and finishing off my meal with a delicious piece of the red velvet cake!

So you probably think I should be happy about this. Not so. Today after my doctor appointment, I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful fall day and not having to go back to work and go for a RUN!!! Ok, so I had a piece of toast with a little peanut butter and jelly. Then I checked my BG at about 4:30 - 55. WTH?!?! It was 92 when I checked at 2:30 and I hadn't taken insulin since before lunch at 12:30. Alright, so then I drank some Gatorade and finished off about half of a banana. Waited 10 minutes. Checked. 57. Nice - big improvement. DANG IT! Ok, what else can I eat around here? Found a cookie and thought this should do the trick. Scarfed it down. Waited 10 minutes. Checked - 72. Still not good enough! And by now I completely stuffed with crappy food and liquids and still not high enough to go for my run. SAD.

Alright, finished venting and just checked again. I am at 92. Maybe my 10 minutes of waiting each time was a little to impatient of me. I think I am going attempt this run now, and hopefully burn off at least some of this extra crap carbs I just consumed!

Tis another fun day with diabetes!

(I promise the next post will try to be more positive...)

3 comments:

  1. Ahh... the ups and downs with Diabetes! I think the honeymoon part is the hardest. It's like your pancreas can't decide if it wants to work or not. I remember my hubby and I thinking he was miraculously healed. Keep chugging along... you are doing great with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you are struggling with this, sis. This is so weird. How frustrating. Keep up the positive thoughts, tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so frustrating! I'm glad you felt good at the wedding, though, and were able to do a little indulging:) Colleen's comment made me laugh because I started to think/hope you were miraculously healed, too, until you told me at BW that you were not:( You ROCK though! My Kick @ss training buddy!!!! Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete