Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Unsolved mystery...

As previously discussed, my blood sugars have been quite low lately.  I realized that even though I wasn't taking any fast-acting insulin with my meals, I would still go low. So by process of elimination I guessed that maybe the background insulin was too much. In both frustration and as an attempt to prevent so many lows I decided yesterday to not take my background insulin and see how that goes.

Anyway, its seemed to work. The last two days my blood sugars have been in a good range. But I have been feeling like crap and super tired. Then I got to wondering what if my meter was telling me the wrong number? What if I am actually a lot higher than I think, which would explain my sluggishness? So tonight I tested using both my everyday Contour and the free One Touch I was sent in the mail. Contour = 150. One Touch = 235. Um, ok. Now how do I know which one is right? My hubby decided to check his on both. Results: Contour = 99; One Touch = 135. Hm. My limited knowledge of blood sugars told me that as a non-diabetic (and having not ate for a couple of hours) the 99 was probably more reasonable. But still, how does one know??

Of course I couldn't find that tiny little bottle of control solution for my Contour that I was given on my first day a PWD. I searched all over. No luck. Then I called the local Walgreens. Out of stock. Next closest Walgreens - Out of Stock. Super. The hubby had the great idea of checking Target (I always forget they have a pharmacy). Jack pot. They at least had the solution for the One Touch. So we buzzed over there before closing time, only to realize that tiny little bottle was $10! For a meter I never use, don't really like, and is probably the inaccurate one! Plus the meter itself costs $11 (but doesn't come with the solution). Hm. After a little debate and more discussion with the pharmacist, we decided the Contour is more likely correct and passed on the additional expense.

So that's where my night ends. Instead of catching up on reading (book club meeting is quickly approaching), I spent my evening trying to figure out if and by how much I may be high, only to be left with my original assumption. Maybe I just feel crappy and tired, because I do need some background insulin??? Maybe I should just call my CDE tomorrow and get her insight, rather than testing things out on my own??? Someday I will get this all sorted out - right?!?!

2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about you sis. I wish there was something I could do to help you! I hope that contacting your CDE today will help. Call me if you wanna chat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome that B took a prick for the team to help figure out which meter was right! After you figure it out I think you should write a strongly worded letter to the manufacturer of the meter that was giving you the wrong reading!!!! That could be dangerous couldn't it????! Hope you're feeling better today buddy!

    ReplyDelete