Today has been wonderful! This morning me, my hubby, and my parents got up at the crack of dawn and headed downtown for the Twins Territory 4k. None of us (who has?) had ever done a 4k before, but it was purposefully that distance to represent 4 bases in baseball. So each K, they had a little plate on the road to let you know how far you had gone. There were a lot more people there than I was expecting, but we were able to park and get through the packet pick-up line just in time.
The race began, but given the number of people, we didn't actually start moving until about a half minute in. My hubby immediately took off (fast run when my wife signs me up type of guy). I decided to run by myself, as I wanted to challenge myself to break a 9 minute pace. I have never run faster than probably a 9:30 pace, so I wasn't sure if I could do it. But my training buddy (who you will probably hear lots about on this blog) in the last 5k did it, so I was inspired and wanted to push myself too!
The morning seemed cool when we left, but downtown just seemed a bit more humid and stifled. I was weaving and passing lots of people, which made me feel great! Towards about 2 1/2K I wasn't sure if I would be able to maintain the fast pace I started with (typical bad move on my part). I kept pushing myself though, and relished in the thought that "it was only a 4K", whatever that meant. Well I was surprised to find the course had a few hills, one of which being at the last lag of the race. That is the 2nd race recently that has ended on an unexpected up-hill. Who's the crazy that plans these courses -- give us a break please!!! Well I trudged up the hill to see my hubby on the sideline letting me know the end was just up a little ways. He is a GREAT cheerer (if you ever need a pick-up at the end of the race, he can get you motivated!). Right at the end I heard someone cheer out my name and looked to see an old high school friend - how nice!
I was happy to cross the finish line at 22:38, which given the slow start, was probably more close to 22:10 or so. I think that works out to be close to an 8:30 pace!!! I couldn't, and still can't, believe I could run that fast! It felt great!
The finish had great recovery/refuel snacks - I indulged in a banana and Chocolate Light Muscle Milk. I had never tried the Muscle Milk (which says right on it, that there is no milk, weird), so I wasn't sure to expect. It was definitely a protein drink. Not horrible, but nothing I wanted to guzzle down. I managed to get about half down. I didn't want to eat too much after the race, since I hadn't given myself my morning insulin yet.
Since the race started at the old Metrodome and ended at the new Target Field, we walked our way back to our car at the start. We then had to get some fun pics at the new Field before leaving! After a quick shower, we head to a local favorite for the best breakfast in town! I tried the special of the day - applesauce pancakes (approx. 4 carb choices). Very good!
All in all I was glad we did the race! I am looking for another 5K to do next -- any suggestions??
Pre-race BG:87; Post-race BG: 168 (result of clif mini bar and banana with no insulin); Pre-breakfast BG: 97; Post-lunch BG: 134 (forgot to take pre-lunch)
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am your FIRST "official" follower!!!! I'm so happy you did this. You surely are inspiring me to get my rear in gear and get one going!!!!! I love your colors/layout. I have an idea for another 5k. It's not until September, but we can talk about it soon. Of course it's in your neck of the woods, since nothing is in mine:) So proud of you for all your accomplishments and being so awesome and courageous to blog about it. You ROCK!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNice job on the 4k! I am sad I missed out on the fun and great pictures, but I did enjoy Cali. ... next time. So glad you started blogging again. I think you will find it very rewarding and like you said... open the door to a lot of other readers. :)
ReplyDelete