Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lake Swim

First off - GO Thome, Hardy and Mauer - 3 HOME RUNS in one exciting inning!

Ok, so today's training plan included an early morning lake swim. I checked my BG before heading out - 100.  I decided since I would be swimming in open water, to be safe I would eat 2 cliff shot blocks (or 1 carb choice) before I started.

The lake was a little creepy with the sun not quite risen yet, and still pretty warm from all the nasty humidity. We like swimming at this lake though, because you can swim straight out and back and it equals about a half mile.

Swimming has definitely been my most abandoned third of the tri these past few weeks, as I have gone from deciding to drop-out to changing my mind and picking back my training. It doesn't help that it is also my least successful of the three, but not much to do about that now!

The swim was not easy, my arms got tired fast, my breathing seemed labored, but somehow I made it the dock and back! As soon as we got on the beach some little gnat things kept biting us, so we quickly packed it up to head back to gym and get ready for the day. I checked my BG before driving off and it was at 162.

Today I had another diabetes education appointment. Unfortunately, I was unaware it was a 2 hour appointment. Thank goodness my work has been so flexible with all this stuff! I found out more good information, as it seems to be endless! I guess it is normal for BGs to spike after a work-out, even without taking in carbs. Somehow adrenaline can cause that, but its important not to treat it, as it will most likely drop quickly just a little while later. Good to know!

They reduced my background insulin some more, as my BG continues to drop overnight. I will also reduce it slightly the night before the tri, to help prevent any lows during the race. I am so thankful that the nurses are so involved with helping me manage my training so I can still participate in my tri! I am glad though that I won't be going back until November, as they think I have it all under pretty good control.

On a side note, the hubby and I treated ourselves to DQ blizzards tonight! I haven't had any good treats since I started taking insulin, so I am pretty sure it was well deserved. However, it is slightly less fun when you first have to go check the carb count and realize exactly how bad those delicious treats are. I opted for the mini size, which seems like nothing when you see it, but yet still has a gazillion calories. Regardless, it was scrumptious, and I am not going to feel guilty about it!

Time to relax now and enjoy a good ol' thunderstorm and Twins baseball - goodnight!

4 comments:

  1. i heart blizzards...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the mini blizzards! All the good taste in a small enough serving to not feel too guilty. You definitely deserve an indulgence though! Nice work on the lake swim. It's humbling for me because you are with me the whole time and I didn't take any time off! Like you, swimming is definitely my "most abandoned third." Well said Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a crazy lake swim this past weekend where I hit a big dead fish! "Creepy" is the correct word!

    Curious, are there any yummy tasting treats that you can eat that won't spike your BG levels?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might feel like the swim has been neglected on your training schedule, but you have gotten in a heckuva lot more open water swims than me! You go girl! Glad you had another good educational appointment with your nurse/doctor!

    ReplyDelete