Oh man does this summer just seem to keep flying by!
Workouts:
I got in a few good workouts this week: Monday night spin (almost died as we did hills the ENTIRE time), Tuesday night swim (was a little nervous to swim across the lake and back, but I made it and even though the water was nasty warm, I was glad to have done it!), Wednesday night sand volleyball (last game of the season), Thursday night outdoor bike ride (took out the new bike!! with the sis and training buddy). I had the best intentions of getting a swim and bike ride in Saturday, but it didn't happen. Oh well, last week of training before the YWCA Tri!!!
Work:
This week was a little crazier than usual, as it was month-end close and we were still in the process of filing our Q2 10-Q. After making all the last minute changes from our lawyers, execs and auditors, on Friday morning I filed my first 10-Q with the SEC!!! It was pretty exciting to me : )
Health:
I also had a big week of doctor appointments. I met with my RN and dietitian on Tuesday to review my food and BG logs. After more discussion, we all agreed that it made sense for me to change up my insulin plan. Instead of taking pre-mixed insulin before breakfast and dinner, I will now take mealtime insulin before each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner, and large snacks) and then a background insulin that lasts 24 hours before bedtime. This new plans gives me a lot more flexibility, as I can eat when I want and how much I want. I was excited for the change, but also, again a little overwhelmed with having to learn a whole new regime again...They want me to come back next week before the tri to see how its all going.
The next day I met with an Endocrinologist for the first time since I have been diagnosed. She was great, and knew her stuff. She ran a quick A1C, and my results were 9.3, done from 12.6 when I first went it. That's really great progress for only being on insulin now for about a month! She made the comment after asking what my profession was, that she thinks only accountants and engineers should get diabetes. Ha. Because we like numbers. Good one ; )
Fun stuff:
I was very excited for my sister to come visit Thursday, and on Friday, we met up with about 6 other girls and headed to a lake cabin for a fun bachelorette weekend extravaganza!! It was such a great weekend. The cabin was a-mazing. Saturday we enjoyed awesome weather on the lake all day. We also took in the local bars (quite the experience). It was just so nice to get away for a weekend and spend some quality time with amazing ladies! (I also learned that jello shots have 19g of carbs, dang!)
Oh, better get back to the laundry!!
Yes, it was a great weekend, wasn't it?! Glad to hear things are looking up with your health. I guess I will see you before the week is over, again! Lucky me!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that I found your blog through your sister's blog.
ReplyDeleteMy husband was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 28 (he's now 34). He was training for his 9th marathon at the time. He's since gone on to finish 3 Ironman races, as well as dozens of other running and tri events. He's part of a team called Team Type 1 (www.teamtype1.org) and has participated in the Race Across America the last two years with them, winning the race against non-diabetic teams.
What you are doing is awesome! As a family member to someone with Type 1 who hasn’t had it their whole life, I know the struggles of learning about the disease, keeping a positive attitude and making it through the day to day struggles that those with a working pancreas don't struggle with. You aren't alone and you are doing great things! I wish you the best of luck becoming comfortable with everything (it will come) and will continue to follow your blog!
Just remember that diabetes isn’t a death sentence and that you can do anything that a non-diabetic can do! :) Keep up the positive attitude!