Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it only Tuesday?!?!

So in my last post I explained how sore I was from Yoga. Since then I have:

1) Went for a nice bike ride with the hubby. I was planning on doing nothing Sunday, but to my surprise B was actually interested in going for a ride with me. Typically I have to beg and plead, and usually fail to get him to do physical activity. You are probably thinking I must have a lazy husband. Nope, not true. He is always busy doing something, its just leisure activities aren't really his thing. He'll run a race (and kick butt) if I sign him up, but that's about it. So I couldn't say no! And it was nice. It was way too hot, so I was dripping quite a bit, but that just made me feel even more hardcore ; ) In the end we did about 8 miles in 45 minutes. (BG was 148 before and it looks like I forget to check after, but a few hours later it was 78)

2) I wasn't about to get up early and run on Monday, as we went to a late Twins game the night before, which I should add was a great game - nice weather, fun company, home run, and a Twins win. I couldn't ask for it any other way! (I even indulged in some gelato for the first time at the game, which is dangerous because the booth is right behind our seats). Ok, back on track. So I knew I needed to get a run in, with this 5k coming up on Saturday. Unfortunately, towards the end of my work day, I felt that nagging cold coming back - sore throat, running right nostril (why only one?), ick. When I got home all I wanted to do was lay around, but I forced myself to hop on the treadmill for a first effort at "speedwork". I was actually very surprised and pleased with myself and the workout I knocked out. It consisted of a 5 minute warm up at about an 11:13 pace, 1 minute sprint (or whatever you want to call it) at between 8 and 8:30 minute pace, 1 minute at warm-up pace, repeated 5 times. Then repeated the whole process 2 more times. Ended up taking about 45 minutes. It was hard, but I was proud of myself for pushing through! (BG before the run was 135 and after was 87)

3) I thought I might have been able to run away my cold - no such luck. Today my TBFL and I planned to try out the "Body Works Plus Abs" class this morning, as part of our effort to increase our core strength. I woke up at 5AM feeling absolutely crummy (BG was 62, which didn't help either). I dug around in the dark (trying, but failing to not wake up B)  for the last dayquil in the house. Even with the drugs, the class was HARD. It started with some brutal planks, held for a minute each, then 30 seconds. I could barely hold it for 10 seconds - sad! Then it moved to lunges, squats and lots of dumbbell reps. Whew - we survived, barely. We'll be back next week ; ) (BG after the workout was 140)

4) A friend asked if I wanted to go for a 3 mile run with her tonight. My initial thought was - No, I am sick and I just need to recover. Then I thought, ok, maybe that wouldn't be so bad, especially since I am planning on taking tomorrow off. Then I had to walk something to our other building at work, and as I crossed the parking lot, I felt the effects of the body works class hitting me. There was no way I was going for a run. By the time I left work my entire body was one big sore muscle (kinda similar to Yoga just a few days ago). So no run for me tonight, which is ok. I did make some delicious tomato basil soup with cheesy ciabata bread. I am stuffed!

Well I think I am going to do more reading tonight - did you know Mary Tyler Moore is a diabetic and wrote a book about her life with it? Pretty interesting stuff.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are getting sick.. or are sick. Especially since you have a 5K this weekend. My advice, take two days off completely (wed/thurs) and do something easy or light Friday before your 5K... this will allow you to get more sleep at night and fight that damn thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi TBFL. My body is so sore I can barely move today:( I am walking around the office like a 95 year old woman...super slow and with a very awkward gait. I kind of "fall" into my chair due to the sore muscles caused by the lunges. But pretty much everything hurts. ON a lighter note, Yay for tonight!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh girl, where do you find the energy for all that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaa, planks - I hate hate hate those . . . probably because I can't do them!! LOL Good for you on all of your training, and even better that you said no to that last run so you can rest and recover from that cold.

    I ran my first 5K a month ago, and I'm getting ready to do two more between now and Thanksgiving. I look forward to following along with your training too - it's nice to have a D-Running Buddy, even if it is just on-line. :)

    ReplyDelete