Oh, triathlon. It really seemed like a good idea when I signed-up for my first one and then optimistically my second one on the same day. I think I should have tri-ed one first. My first tri was, I am pretty sure, the hardest thing I have ever done. The swim was a half-mile. I had definitely done this distance in a nice, clean lap pool, but nothing similar to a freezing lake with large men (and powerful women) kicking you in the head as they swim past. The bike was not much better - 20 miles of never-ending rolling hills, at which about mile 15 my entire legs cramped-up. Somehow I powered through it, only to reach the bike-in, finding that I could not bend my legs to get off of my bike. No one helped. Finally, I somehow managed to get off, pretty much in full panic-attack mode by this point. I walked into the transition area, pretty confident it was the end for me. But then I saw my best training buddy. In a state of delusion, I asked if she was already done? Actually, she was waiting for me, so we could do the run together. I wasn’t sure I could do it, but her words of encouragement worked. We finished the tri together, and I felt like I had conquered the world (even if we were pretty much the last people to stroll in).
Well, since then I realized that during this time (training and completing the tri) I actually had diabetes. Huh. BG is the high 400s. Wow. After all the shock of being diagnosed and beginning my insulin treatments, I finally came back around to the idea that maybe I could complete this 2nd triathlon I had signed-up for. I picked back up my training the last couple weeks before the tri, and kept reminding myself that this one would be better – shorter in all three areas and all women, with lots of 1st timers!
Tri-day came so quickly. My sister and friend came to town. We “carb-loaded” at Buca’s, as much as a diabetic can anyway, we packed our bikes, and we woke up at the crack dawn to get marked and set-up our transition areas. I had a pre-race breakfast of toast with PB, then a mini-clif bar. After getting all set-up, I checked my BG one more time before the transition area closed - 85. It was lower than I wanted it to be, dang it. So I ate another clif-mini bar, hoping that would hold me through the swim.
Pre-race Smiles (from left to right: Friend JW, Sister, Me, Training Buddy)
Then we waited, and waited as each wave began 3 minutes apart. Finally wave 13, 14, then there we were lined up on the edge of the water, ready to run in. 10, 9, 8…3,2,1… GO!
The swim definitely wasn’t easy, but I was glad to find that the ladies dispersed pretty well and no one kicked me in the head! I didn’t have to stop either to avoid running into anyone, and the best part was I got stay right along the booies with no problem. It appears everyone had the idea to hang to the outside to avoid getting clobbered. That worked to my advantage! I was also happy to see lots of volunteers with noodles for emergency purposes. The idea of stopping for a rest definitely sounded wonderful, but NO! The run from the water to the transition area was labored, but I didn’t want to stop as there were SO many people standing along the side cheering away. I heard someone shout my name, but wasn’t sure who…
My training buddy was already in transition when I got there. I gave her a pat on the back. She majorly improved on the swim from the last time, as she overcame her open water fears – so I was very happy for her!
The bike part, ugh. I was really thinking this would be 1,000 times better than the last tri, simply due to the fact that I was now managing my diabetes, but also due to the fact that the course was relatively flat and 5 miles shorter. Hm, it was a struggle from the start. I just felt drained already. Maybe I kicked too much in the swim? Maybe my BG was too low? Maybe it was the strong winds that never seemed to be at my back? Maybe it was my front brakes rubbing on my tire? Somewhere close to mile 11, my sister and friend passed me. I was happy to see them, but would have been happier to see the finish line. I just kept pushing as hard as I could. I managed to drink most of my Nuun, but probably should have drank that plus my other water bottle. I also managed to eat a bag of GU Chomps, about 30g of carbs during the ride. It seemed like a lot to me…
Transition to the run is the worst. First, getting off the bike is tricky, but I remembered to clip-out (phew) but it took some time for my legs to remember how to walk. There was no running into T2. I switched my shoes, put on my race belt, and attempted to eat one more GU, because I was feeling low (or maybe just exhausted?).
Attempting to run out, I was pretty sure I didn’t have enough juice in me to get through the rest of the race. My legs felt like bricks that didn’t want to move. I saw my hubby and parents on the sideline, but couldn’t muster a smile. I passed my sister and friend, and they told me to take it easy, as I said I thought I wouldn’t make it. I was starting to think maybe I was low, maybe I would pass-out. Crap. C’mon, I got this far, and I just wanted to finish. Finally, about 1 mile in, I am not sure if that little bit of GU kicked in, or adrenaline, or maybe I was just over-concerned about how I felt earlier, but regardless, I found my running legs, and ran through the next 2.1 miles without feeling like death. As I passed ladies, I cheered on with words of encouragement. I hope they appreciated it and weren’t annoyed, because I know how much it helps me.
Finally, finish line! I saw friends & family & training buddy (she kicked even more butt on the run!) and heard the announcer say my name – woo hooo – mission accomplished!
Stopping abruptly to get my ankle timer off, I was pretty sure I was going to hurl, but managed to walk out of there, rush to the food line and binge on a chocolate chip cookie and watermelon. I honestly can’t even remember if I tasted the cookie? I also took a wrap, banana and chips, but couldn’t eat them. Then I headed back to the finish to cheer on my sister and friend as they crossed the finish line! I was yelling their names SO loud!!!
We all met back-up to discuss the killer tri and to take a couple fun finisher pictures! I checked my BG about an hour after the race - 155. For all the crap I consumed, it was probably pretty low when I crossed the finsih line. I definitely did not drink enough water afterward, as I had an annoying dehydrated headache the rest of the day. Once I get those, there’s not enough water in the world to get it to go away. I also know I lost quite a bit of salt (mostly because I could see and feel it on my face), because I was craving a big burger and fries. Same thing I craved after my last tri. I find it weird, because I am not a big red-meat or potato eater.
Well the family had to get back on the road home shortly after the race, so the hubby and I went to a local favorite that has THE best burgers. It hit the spot. I even indulged in an ultra-light beer. The rest of my Sunday was lazy and involved watching too many episodes to count of Dexter Season 2.
After all is said and done, I can say I was proud of myself for completing the tri. I am not yet ready to commit to my next big challenge, but know whatever it may be, I can do it!
Way to go Stephie! I love your report. It's dead on. This was an awesome (and killer) tri but so empowering!!!! Glad we have each other to keep us going! TB4L:D I'm a huge nerd!!!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome race report! Sounded like between your first and 2nd tris it was like night and day. Don't you love how that "switch" goes off when you hit the first mile of the run? It will get easier as you stick with it. Great job!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!!! Nice race!!! I thnk every athelte has that moment were the race comes to form, sometimes its on the bike, sometimes its on the run, just sometimes, it takes awhile to get into the grove of a race. Good luck on your next challenge.
ReplyDeleteGreat race report! Great photos and video too! I think that each and every triathlon is so different and we can learn so much from each one... I am just trying to put the pieces together for my report...
ReplyDeleteYou rocked this girl. And yes, I was a bit concerned for your condition when you passed me on the run. You looked strong though. I love the feeling of when you find your running legs... all those BRICK workouts will pay off!
Woo hoo! Congrats girl! You did it!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you were definitely fighting a low the entire day. For all your ate (and knowing that you were only in the 80's before the swim), your body was fighting. But you did awesome.
Tri's get easier and easier... will you keep racing? Hope so!
Hi!
ReplyDeleteI just stumbled on your blog from a comment you left on "Katie's Healthy Journey"! Welcome!
Are you here in the Twin Cities, MN area? I am too, and there are a bunch of local folks who meet fairly regularly.
I'll swing by as often as I can and catch the latest news. :-)
And I'm also *amazed* that you did a triathlon while fighting your blood sugars (before you knew you were diabetic)? That speaks volumes of your spirit and fight! Way to go! Glad to have your voice and story, thank you for deciding to blog! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Scott! I am in the Twin Cities. That's really cool that people get together, it would be nice to check out sometime. Do you have a blog?
ReplyDelete