
Today is the 6th annual D-Blog Day and this year's topic is six things you want people to know about diabetes. So here goes!
1) Type 1 is not just for kids. I'm pretty sure anyone reading this knows that, but I think the general public may not. Its hard either way you look at it and for different reasons, being diagnosed as a child vs. adult, but we all need the support of others!
2) Diabetes seems to have an affect on everything. It can impact either in the long run or on any given day my hunger, mood, heart, vision, circulation, energy level, ability to concentrate, kidneys, weight..just to name a few.
3) Diabetes has not been cured. To me a cure would be something that allows my pancreas to be able to function properly on its own permanently. Cross your fingers that some day a cure is found!
4) I cannot live without insulin. This is a fact even I am still coming to terms with.
5) Yes, sometimes the injections and the finger pricks hurt, but that's not the most difficult aspect of diabetes. That's just the stuff people can see. The hardest part (for me) is all the other stuff people can't see: the emotional wear a low BG has on me, the tiredness I feel if I am unable to keep my BG stable, the constant thinking about how I feel, whether I need more or less insulin, whether I need a snack to make it through a meeting, how many carbs are in what I think I might want to eat for the next meal, blah blah blah.
6) Nobody knows yet what causes T1D. Isn't that crazy? I hope the cause is determined soon and future diagnoses can be prevented.
Those are just my limited thoughts on diabetes. I am still learning too. If you'd like to learn more you should check out Six Until Me, who is able to put all the thoughts I have about the disease in much more eloquent words.
Night!
Great post, sister. I am happy you are spreading more awareness through your diagnosis and experiences. I continue to learn more and more. You amaze me.
ReplyDeleteNumber six has always been a thorn in my side. Everyone asks how to prevent type 1 diabetes, but how can you prevent something when you have very little clue what causes it in the first place?
ReplyDeleteGreat post, and thanks for the shout-out! :)
- Kerri.
There is a national team called Team Type 1 and 2, all the athletes have diabetes and compete, some are pros and elite level, google them if you like. I have a friend who is on the team
ReplyDelete:) Great post! It's a carzy disease and unfortunately so many negative thoughts and assumptions about people with diabetes. Good for you for getting the word out... I love it!
ReplyDeleteHi Pal. Great post. I heart you big time and hope that you know that even if I say dumb ignorant things I really want to understand diabetes so please don't hold it against me! I'll keep learning with you so keep teling me EVERYTHING! You're one of my best pals and I want to always be supportive! Love you to the moon and back!
ReplyDelete