Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sugar free please!

Yes, I will admit that I am addicted to and love lattes and mochas. Normal drip coffee just won't do. I need the espresso and frothy milk, with a little flavoring to make my day start out on the right note.

However, I also am trying to be budget conscience. $4+ a day on a morning beverage is little much. I have tried to limit myself to one per week, but usually it ends up being more like two or three. My justification is usually that  I deserve at treat after waking up before the light of day and getting my sweat on at the gym. The current temperature drop isn't helping either. 

I do have my own espresso machine, but I accidentally dropped the piece that froths the milk in the garbage disposal and broke it. The replacement part has been ordered, but is taking its sweet time getting here. Another reason I can justify an extra stop at Caribou (when I feel especially like treating myself my order = medium skim dark chocolate mocha with less chocolate. Ah, soooo good and surprisingly only about 35g of carbs.) 

Today was no exception. It is COLD out and the freezing rain is keeping me indoors. But I wanted a hot drink! My hubby and I decided to walk to the nearby Starbucks with the dog, a little fresh air and a latte = heaven! I ordered a sugar-free non-fat cinnamon dolce latte. When the barista handed me my drink she just said non-fat cinnamon dolce latte. I asked nicely "Is this sugar-free?". She blankly stared at me and stated, "No." She was not happy to have to remake my drink and made that quite clear by throwing it dramatically in the sink, and making a different drink for someone else first. She asked if what I wanted was a "skinny cinnamon dolce". Um, I guess if skinny means sugar-free and non-fat which is how I ordered it, then yes. Sorry barista lady for not using the correct Starbucks lingo. 

I can't even imagine how my blood-sugar would have spiked if I had drank the first one she made. I am glad I double-checked before leaving, but I really didn't appreciate the attitude. Isn't the customer always right? I mean I did order what I wanted, and I wasn't being rude or mean. I just can't have a sugar-packed drink! So even though Starbucks is more convenient (location-wise) than Caribou, I think I will stick to my favorite Caribou (generally good service and to me much better espresso).

On a side-note, the last couple of weeks my blood sugars have been awesome (knock on wood)! I have had a couple of lows, but just barely below the line. I have got to learn to eat a snack in the late afternoon, because for some reason towards the end of the day work seems to get busier or stressful, causing my BG to drop. Anyone else have that problem?

Back to laundry/football day!

2 comments:

  1. What a crazy barista lady! Glad you got what you wanted, though a little painful. Nice work on getting out of the house today. More than I can say for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks that she was a biotch! I have been doing the exact opposite and enjoying Starbucks much more than Caribou. I have had horrible customer service at Caribou, cold drinks, nasty tasting, not full, and rude baristas... and starbucks has been exceptionally nice, and my coffee drinks taste more like coffee than sugar. :)

    ReplyDelete