Since yesterday was a big time lounging day, I had to do my weekly grocery shopping trip tonight after work. I really lacked any motivation, but knew yogurt and instant oatmeal wouldn't cut it for lunch two days in a row. Grocery shopping (and laundry) is my responsibility in this household, (yeah, I was wondering too how I got the short end of the stick?). On a side-note, if it wasn't my responsibility we would have a lot of hot dogs and Doritos. So I found a way to motivate myself. We had thrown a meal in the oven that needed to bake for 45 minutes. I decided to take it as a challenge to drive, park, get everything on my list, pay, bag, load and unload all the groceries in time to pull the bake out of the oven.
Luckily, we live only a few blocks away from the local grocery store. I cruised through the produce section, finding exactly what was on my list. Grabbed the canned goods I needed. But then I found myself distracted in the cereal aisle. Another side-note: cereal use to be my go-to breakfast, snack, and on occasion dinner. After being diagnosed with T1D, my cereal consumption has completely dropped-off a cliff. Cereal is a tricky one. Its so good, but not worth the blood sugar spike. But B. had put in a special request for some cereal and pop-tarts (see what I mean when I say I have to do the grocery shopping?). So after a little perusing for old-time sakes, I grabbed the requested Raisin Bran and hustled to the dairy section. I was able to cruise through the rest of the store, mostly sticking to my list (may have strayed slightly when I picked up some dark chocolate syrup to make my own mochas).
The challenge was a success. Grocery shopping done and on the counter with just 1 minute to spare on the dinner timer! Since I was able to get my butt out of bed early this morning and get a 4 mile run in, now I can spend the rest of my evening relaxing and not feel bad about it!!
Happy Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment